NEW, BEEN ON DISPLAY The three-cylinder 4-12-2 design used a pair of conventional cylinders that powered the third driving axle while an additional cylinder, mounted in the locomotive frame, drove the second axle. The 12-coupled design evenly distributed the massive weight with a relatively light load per axle. The extra...
The three-cylinder 4-12-2 design used a pair of conventional cylinders that powered the third driving axle while an additional cylinder, mounted in the locomotive frame, drove the second axle.
The 12-coupled design evenly distributed the massive weight with a relatively light load per axle. The extra power of the third cylinder created greater fuel efficiency and greater power. True to the prototype, the Lionel 4-12-2 includes detailed Gresley valve gear in front of the third cylinder and an operational, reciprocating third drive rod in the locomotive frame. The RailSounds sound system accurately reproduces the rhythmic chuff of three-cylinder super power.
During her three decades of service, our prototype went through many modifications. We have modeled the U.P. 9000 as she appeared during the last years of her career at the most refined point of her design. Some of these details include a mechanical lubricator and New York Air Brake sander pipes and equipment, including a separately applied chain across the sand dome hatches. Other separately applied details include: roof vents, a Worthington SA feedwater heater, front-mounted air pumps, injectors, air and superheater piping, boiler check valves and accurate builder's plates. The tender of the Lionel 4-12-2 is as true to the prototype as the locomotive. The tender deck features authentic wood-grained texture with dimpled metal steps and running boards. The semi-cylindrical tender rides on highly detailed six-wheel Commonwealth trucks. Opening tender hatches allow for easy access to RailSounds sound system controls. In the tradition of the Big Boy and Challenger, Lionel again brings another U.P. giant to life with the scale-sized 4-12-2 Union Pacific Type locomotive.
- Die-cast metal tender body
- TrainMaster® Command Control equipped—able to run in Command Control Mode or in Conventional Transformer Control Mode
- Odyssey® System for speed control, can be disabled if desired
- ElectroCoupler™ on rear of tender
- Die-cast metal locomotive frame
- Directional lighting with operating headlight and back-up light on rear of tender
- Lighted number boards and marker lights
- Flickering firebox in cab
- Authentically detailed and illuminated cab interior
- Wireless Tether connection between locomotive and tender
- Gresley valve gear details and reciprocating third-cylinder drive rod
- Scale front coupler with interchangeable O gauge coupler
- Fan-driven smoke unit with improved smoke output
- Separately applied metal details
- Painted exterior valve handles
- Accurate, separately applied builder's plates
- Variable ashpan glow
- Cab window glass
- Engineer and fireman figures
- High-torque Pittman® motor with momentum flywheel
- Improved RailSounds™ sound system with CrewTalk™ communication, TowerCom™ announcements and unique three-cylinder DynaChuff™ synchronized chuffing
- Two traction tires
- Die-cast metal tender trucks
- Rail Line: Union Pacific
- Road Number: 9000
- Gauge: Standard O Scale
- Brand: Lionel
- Min Curve: O-72
Dimensions: Length of locomotive and tender: